HOW Overeaters Anonymous is a fellowship of individuals, who are recovering from compulsive eating through shared experience and mutual support. We welcome everyone who wants to stop eating compulsively. There are no dues or fees for membership. We are self-supporting through our own contributions, neither soliciting nor accepting outside donations.
Is HOW-OA for You?
This series of questions may help you decide if you are a compulsive overeater.
- Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
- Do you go on eating binges for no apparent reason?
- Do you have feelings of guilt and remorse after overeating or undereating?
- Do you give too much time and thought to food?
- Do you look forward with pleasure and anticipation to the time when you can eat alone?
- Do you plan these secret binges ahead of time?
- Do you eat sensibly with others and make up for it alone?
- Is your weight affecting the way you live your life?
- Have you tried to diet for a week (or longer) only to fall short of your goal?
- Do you resent others telling you to “use a little willpower” to stop overeating?
- Despite evidence to the contrary, have you continued to assert that you can diet “on your own” when you wish?
- Do you crave to eat at times other than mealtime?
- Do you eat to escape from worries or trouble?
- Have you ever been treated for obesity or a food-related condition?
- Does your eating behavior make you or others unhappy?
Have you answered yes to three or more of these questions? If so, it is probable that you have, or are well on your way to having a compulsive overeating problem. We have found that the way to arrest this progressive disease is to practice the Twelve-Step recovery program of Overeaters Anonymous.